2007-09-13 / Front Page

Fire destroys Rayle home in early Sunday morning blaze

A fireearly Sunday morning left this Lexington Road house in ruins, despite the efforts of some 16 Wilkes firefighters. A fireearly Sunday morning left this Lexington Road house in ruins, despite the efforts of some 16 Wilkes firefighters. Firefightersfrom Rayle and other departments turned out early Sunday morning for a fireon Highway 78 near the county line.

The call came in at 6:03 a.m. Sunday for a fireat 7063 Lexington Road. The firewas in an old home owned by Troy and Shirley Chafin,that was only occasionally occupied.

"Flames were coming out of the roof when we got there," said Rayle Fire Chief Brent Sherrer. Some 16 firefightersfrom Rayle's Engine 7 and Tanker 7, plus Engine 5 and Tanker 5 from Washington, along with Tanker 3 from Jackson's Crossroads and Knocker 9 from Tignall, responded to the blaze.

Firefighters had the fire under control within 15 minutes, Washington Fire Chief Alan Poss said. The fire's origin was in the living room of the structure.

There was one injury related to the fire. Tangie Chafin, who occasionally stayed in the old home, saw the firefrom her parents' home to the rear and ran to try to put it out. She sustained a deep cut to her arm from broken glass, Sherrer said, and was transported to Wills Memorial Hospital for treatment.

There was no electrical service to the house and Poss said that a kerosene lantern was being used for illumination and that, or an unattended cigarette, may have started the fire. There was heavy damage to the home.

Return to top