2018-03-08 / Front Page

Murder suspect turns himself in; shooting investigation continues

The murder suspect sought in the February 25 shooting of Richard Anderson Jr. turned himself in last Friday, March 2, at the Wilkes County Sheriff’s Office. Tomarkus Young, 23, is now held without bond in the county jail.

The victim was a 23-year-old man from Crawfordville who was known to have spent some time in Washington.

The alledged gunman, also 23, was an outstanding Washington-Wilkes Tiger football player who was named to the 2013 All-State second team, played in the first-ever Border Bowl, was a member of the 2012 Tiger Leadership Council, was crowned Homecoming King, and named Mr. Tiger. He was known for his hard hitting on defense and powerful running on offense.

However, the current case is not Young’s first time in trouble with the law. In July of 2013 he was arrested and charged with criminal trespass; and in October of 2017 he was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct. Dispensation of the 2013 charge was unavailable; he pleaded guilty to the 2017 charge and paid a $300 fine.

Young is now charged with the fatal shooting of Anderson which occurred sometime Sunday, February 25, according to Thomas Bailey, Chief Investigator with the Wilkes County Sheriff’s Office.

Anderson’s body was discovered by a passing driver shortly before midnight and reported at 11:36 p.m. Deputies responded and found the body at the end of Mayfair Street in the Baltimore area of Washington.

“We found a young black male, later identified as Richard Anderson Jr., dead in the street,” Bailey said. “There was no one around. The caller was a person who happened to be driving by and spotted the body.”

The GBI Region 7 office in Thomson was called in to assist.

Death was from an apparent gunshot wound and investigators at the scene collected various items of evidence.

“On further investigation into the following day, we developed information as to who might have been responsible,” Bailey explained. “It wasn’t until Wednesday that we developed enough information to obtain an arrest warrant for Tomarkus Young for murder.”

Also according to Bailey, Young turned himself in after talking with his family. Once he gets an attorney, whether a public defender or a hired lawyer, they will petition the Wilkes County Superior Court to set up a bond hearing.

“From what we can tell at this point [Anderson] was shot and killed right there where he was found,” Bailey said.

“We are still looking into motive and we are desperately trying to find more information,” he continued. “We have interviewed numerous people up to this point but we would definitely love to talk to anyone with any kind of information to shed on this case.”

A suspected weapon is in the custody of the Sheriff’s Office but it was not recovered at the scene of the shooting. It was recovered elsewhere, Bailey said, and it is not known to be the murder weapon. The ballistics report from the crime lab is pending.

“We have different theories at this point,” Bailey said of the search for additional facts.

“We would like to hear from anybody and everybody about this case,” he added. “It’s still an active, ongoing investigation and not closed at this point by any means.

“There are numerous rumors out there and a lot of them I know are not correct,” he concluded.

Anyone with any information concering the case is urged to contact the Wilkes County Sheriff’s Office at 706-678-2224, or the Georgia Bureau of Investigation at 706-595-2575.

Return to top