2018-10-11 / Front Page

Church of the Mediator to celebrate 150th anniversary on October 20-21


A photograph of the Episcopal Church of the Mediator taken shortly after 1900. A photograph of the Episcopal Church of the Mediator taken shortly after 1900. Washington’s Episcopal Church of the Mediator will celebrate the 150th anniversary of its founding with events October 20-21.

On Saturday afternoon, October 20, from 5-7 p.m., the church will host a program on the history of the parish presented by Skeet Willingham, along with a book signing for his Keeping the Faith: A History of the Parish of Mediator. Wine and light refreshments will be provided.

On Sunday morning, October 21, the celebrant for the 11:15 a.m. service will be the Rt. Rev. Paul E. Lambert, Bishop Suffragan and national chaplain for the Brotherhood of St. Andrew. Also participating will be Fathers Robert B. Dendtler and Dwight Ogier. Guest organist Dawn Marie Pike and church organist Belinda Jeffries will provide the music. A catered luncheon at the Parish House will follow. Notify Senior Warden Betsy Wagner at 706- 401-8296 by Friday, October 12, if planning to attend the luncheon.

From the earliest days of settlement, there has been an Episcopal presence in Wilkes County. Prior to the Civil War, a faithful few, led by Judge and Mrs. Garnett Andrews and their family held occasional services in their home, at the Masonic Lodge, and even in other churches in town. By 1868 the Parish of Mediator was formed by the Episcopal Diocese of Georgia with the Rev. Joshua Knowles in charge.

A chapel was erected in 1872 west of The Square. Following the devastating fire of 1895, which destroyed that structure along with so many other buildings, a new church was constructed on a lot adjacent to the Robert Toombs House. Here the Church of the Mediator remains today, firm in faith, welcoming parishioners and visitors from Washington and surrounding communities.

The special events are open to the public and all are invited to participate.

Return to top