Minimum gambling age restrictions vary based on state, and regulating rules. The primary requirement differs globally from 18 to 21 years old. The casino minimum age to gamble in the United States is 21, but in the United Kingdom, it is 18. In Australia, it depends on the state: some require at least 18 years, while others require at least 19 or 21 years.
What is the Minimum Casino Age Limit?
The minimum age to go to casino online or offline varies by country and is also determined by the laws of casinos. Everyone can choose an option at your own discretion, depending on your preferences. There are a lot of possibilities for punters who are used to playing without leaving home. For example, large gambling hubs offer a wide selection of the best online casinos with no deposit, free spins or welcome bonuses. Each option, online or offline, has its own rules, laws and conditions, please read this before playing.
- For casino games in Illinois, a player must be 21 or older per the Illinois Casino Gaming Act of 2013.
- Anyone above 18 may attend a casino in California but cannot gamble or receive earnings from gaming activities.
The Gaming Commission of Great Britain states that the number for internet gaming is 18.
What is the Main Minimum Casino Age Requirement?
Most countries and states, including the United States, Canada, Europe, and Australia, have a limit between 18 and 21. Several countries have a lower restriction, such as 18 years old in the United Kingdom and several states in the United States. The principal casino age limit to gamble legally varies by country but is usually 21. Betting is a crime for anyone over 16 but under 18.
George Washington and Stanford University research found a positive relationship between gambling activity among 18-21-year-olds in states where the minimum gambling age for casino activity was either 18 or 19 years old. This study demonstrates how responsible behavior could be kept at a younger age if it is facilitated by efficient supervision.
Casino Legal Age: Regulators of Minimum Gambling Age
Young individuals between 18 and 24 are more prone to participate in hazardous gambling behavior. Their brains are still developing, and emotion and reasoning are not completely realized until 24 or 25.
Australia Interactive Gaming Amendment
More than 80% of Australians gamble, making it a viral market. Gamblers must be at least 18, regardless of where they are from. Although each state is responsible for its legislation, the legal casino minimum age is the same throughout the nation. Any violation of these regulations is a criminal act.
- A business that allows persons under 18 to gamble faces severe penalties, including revoking their license.
- Sports betting and lotteries are lawful in all states, with each jurisdiction controlling laws.
- All online platforms follow the same fundamental rules, the age to enter casinos is 18+.
- Interactive Gaming Amendment Bill 2016 clarified that offshore casino sites are no longer legally permitted to serve the Australian gaming industry.
UK Gambling Commission
Such activity is widely accepted in the UK. Several advertisements encourage participating and gambling on favorite teams during sports games. The Australian casino entry age for gambling is 18: every month, 43% of the UK population gamble, with 26% participating in online gaming. UK Gambling Commission is an independent regulator, that has many responsibilities, including:
US Federal Trade Commission
In the USA, the state government regulates such rules. It’s one of the most gambling countries with the largest number of players per day in the world. US FTC is the federal agency enforcing laws controlling unfair or misleading commercial practices. It has taken action against firms that have advertised gambling items to minors.
- In Alabama, all sorts of gambling need a US legal gambling age of 19 or older.
- In Arizona, it is allowed for charity to operate as a casino at night.
- It is unlawful in Arkansas for anybody under 18 to patronize pari-mutuel betting.
- In 2019, the FTC fined DraftKings and FanDuel $675 million for violating federal law by targeting minors with their online sports betting apps.
Canadian Gaming Commission
Provincial and territory governments control gambling in Canada. Canadian Gaming Commission (CGC) is a federal agency regulating gambling; the Canadian gambling age for casinos is 18. CGC is responsible for promoting responsible gambling and protecting users from gambling harm.
- The number varies according to the type of activity and province.
- Except in Alberta, Quebec, and Manitoba, users must be 19 to play gambling.
- As per a 2018 report, 64.5% of Canadians 15 y/o and above 18 reported gambling at least once in the previous year.
- 72.3% of people between 45 and 64 were most likely to have gambled in the previous year, while those between 15 and 24 were least likely – 43.9%.
Online Gambling Age Restrictions: Minimum Gambling Age to Go to Casino
In most countries, the restrictions are the same for land-based casinos. Men are 81% more inclined than women to develop a problem or at-risk gambling habits. The average number among online gamblers is 34, 30% of internet gamblers – between 46 and 55.
|Country||Casino Entry Age:||Legal Age to Go to Casino Online|
|United Kingdom||18||Distribution of UK online gamblers by year group in September 2021 revealed that 32.8% were aged 45-54. In 2019, 23.9% of bettors were between 45 and 54.|
|United States||18||85% of gamblers play online using mobile devices. Devices account for 58% of all activity. Men are 81% more likely than women to develop a problem, and the average age of an internet gambler is 34.|
|Australia||18||Underage betting is common in Australia, with 32.5% of those under 18 partaking. By 2022, an industry expected 20% of men and 12.5% of girls to be engaged in games.|
|Canada||18||In Canada online gambling age is from 30 to 50 (read about the last updates and situation on the casino market). Young individuals bet in huge numbers. Their habits are identical. Despite what appears trivial, younger players prefer playing more online games.|
|New Zealand||20||In 2018, around 520,000 New Zealand individuals (aged 15 and over) engaged in online gaming. In the past 12 months, one in every 5 gamblers gambled online. Purchasing a Lotto New Zealand product was the most prevalent type.|
|Singapore||21||2020 report shows that 44% of Singaporeans aged 18 had gambled at least once. Users need to be at least 21 to be able to bet, except for gaming with Singapore pools.|
What is the Age Limit to Gamble Online VS. Offline?
Age Limit to Gamble Offline
The offline casino age limit in most states is 18. In 2020, 48.4 % of respondents aged 45 to 54 participated, making it the age bracket with the highest share. Participation was highest between 35 to 64 years old. All categories A, B, and C slot machines, and category B3A gaming machines featuring lottery-style games, need a minimum age of 18. There is no minimum age for category D machine players. Holders of any premises license must follow the Commission’s rules of practice on age and separation from category C and B machines when installed on the same premises.
Age Limit to Gamble Online
In most states online gambling age limit is 21. This is the same in most online casinos and sports betting in almost every legal market. It is not allowed in many states. From June 2016 to June 2017, over 587,000 gamers used online systems, with 11,500 opting out voluntarily. Other forms, such as lottery, horse race betting, and DFS, have lower limits in the 18-19 range.
Confirmation by Online Platforms:
ID is needed to get allowed to a retail casino. It is straightforward at an online gaming site. To join an online sportsbook or casino, personal information to verify online gambling age must be provided:
- First and last name.
- Date of birth.
- Social Security number.
- Picture ID.
Interesting Facts about Legal Gambling Ages:
- According to a 2017 American Gaming Association (AGA) study, public opinion toward legal sports betting in the United States is evolving, with almost 72% of respondents preferring a lower years threshold.
- The legal gambling age by state varies from state to state in the United States. Most offline casinos demand players to be at least 21.
- In Macau, the number is 21. For tourists, it is 18. Canada has a limit of 18 years old, except in Quebec – where it is 19.
- There are several jurisdictions where the minimum gambling age to enter a casino is lower. In the United Kingdom and several states in the United States, it is 18 years old.
- In Europe, it differs per country. Most have a limit of 18, although Germany and Italy – 21.
- In Singapore, the number is 21. In 2015, the Singapore Ministry of Home Affairs implemented the Remote Gaming Act, making providing unlicensed gaming unlawful. It is also a criminal offense for Singaporeans to gamble online with unregistered businesses.
- Kuwait has one of the world’s highest legal gambling age to enter casinos. Only persons over 25 years old can participate in it.
First 10 States: Minimum Gambling Age by States
Most states’ minimum US gambling age limit is 18 years old; some Native American casinos and U.S. states have 21-year-old minimum gambling age restrictions for players.
|State:||Gambling Age:||Short Overview:|
|Alabama||18||Wind Creek Montgomery, Wind Creek Atmore, and Wind Creek Wetumpka are Alabama Indian casinos. Indian Gambling Regulatory Act of 1988 set Class II gambling laws for all three.|
|Alaska||21||Guests must be at least 18 to play, except for Alaska sailings, which require passengers to be 21.|
|Arizona||21||At least 21 years old are needed to gamble legally in Arizona, including the state lottery. However, Arizona residents who are at least 18 years old can participate in some legally sanctioned online gambling sites.|
|Arkansas||21||Code sections regulate Arkansas gambling. The legal gambling age in the United States is 18 for lotteries and horse races and 21 for casino games and sports betting.|
|Connecticut||21||To participate in gambling or sports betting, players must be at least 21. To enter fantasy contests, buy lottery tickets, or play keno, at least 18 years old.|
|Delaware||18||18-year-old users play scratchers, bingo, the lottery, and poker in places other than a casino, as well as pari-mutuel horse racing.|
|Florida||21||In Florida, to buy lottery tickets, bet on horse races, and play poker, the legal gambling age to go to a casino is 18. To play such games players must be 21 or older.|
Other Top 10 USA States: USA Gambling Age by States
Gambling regulations in the United States are a patchwork, with legal casino legal limit age ranging from 18 to 21, depending on the state. 2022 has broken the US gambling record of $53.04 billion by 13.5%. In 2023, the US market for online gambling is expected to bring in $95.05bn, with a CAGR of 8.54% from 2023 to 2027. It is estimated to be worth US$131.90bn with 233.7 million online gambling users by 2027.
- Hawaii does not allow commercial gambling, but many other jurisdictions permit social gambling at 18 y/o.
- Illinois: To participate in bingo and lottery games, a player must be 18. Other kinds of gambling, such as casino and sportsbook betting, require 21 years old.
- In Iowa casinos, the casino legal age limit is 21, but just 18 for pari-mutuel wagering or bingo. All Iowa casinos are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Kansas boasts a variety of alternative gambling options for guests 21 and older, as well as bingo or lottery for 18 y/o persons .
- Kentucky: In July 2023, Kentucky’s Michael Meredith bill made the minimum betting age 18. This was consistent with other betting laws, such as horse racing laws.
- Louisiana: According to Louisiana Revised Statutes, individuals under 21 are not permitted to engage in table games or slot machines in designated gaming areas on a riverboat.
- Maine: California is still dominated by tribal gambling, with several establishments letting 18-year-olds bet freely. Commercial gambling establishments only allow those above the 21 y/o to gamble.
- Maryland: The legal casino minimum age in Maryland is 21 because casinos incorporate alcohol into their operating model.
- Massachusetts: Under federal laws, 24% of $5,000 or more rewards are deducted and forwarded to Internal Revenue. In Massachusetts for casino gaming and DFS is 21. To play the lottery, it is 18.
- Michigan: In Michigan it varies based on a type of gaming. Individuals must be 18 to participate in a lottery, bingo, and fantasy sports betting.
- Minnesota: Residents and tourists 18 and older can legally play the state lottery, visit tribal casinos, buy tabs, play craps, and visit card rooms.
Minimum Gambling Age Restrictions: Casino Minimum Age to Gamble
Some jurisdictions and most offshore sportsbooks permit legal betting for anyone over 18. To bet on pro or college sports, most domestic sportsbooks demand a < 21 y/o. Gamblers must verify the casino’s policy to know any legal gambling age limitations.
|Country:||Minimum Casino Age:||Overview:|
|USA||21||80% of adults play at least once a year. Three to 5 out of every 100 players need help with it. Up to 750,000 young people between 14 and 21 are hooked on gaming.|
|Australia||18||16 % of 16–17 year old Australians had spent money on gaming. People must be 18 to play online, in hotels/casinos, or buy lottery tickets.|
|Hong Kong and Macau||21||Individuals must be at least 21 to visit a casino in Hong Kong and residents must pay an entry fee.|
|Europe||18||For European countries it is 18, 21, or 23. In Europe, 23% of gamers are over 45.|
|Canada||18||There are about 19.3 million active internet gamblers. 43% of women and 56% of men have gambled online. The Canadian gambling age limit is 18 and 34 are less inclined to gamble than those between 35 and 54.|
|United Kingdom||18||In March 2023, 44% of Brits aged 16 and above had gambled at least once. 25% of UK players are PC gamers. 43% of UK players gamble monthly, and 26% of them gamble online (more statistics in this review of UK gambling market).|
|Vegas||21||22% of Las Vegas visitors were 65 and older. To gamble in Vegas and the rest of Nevada it is 21.|
|New Zealand||20||In New Zealand, one must be 20 years old to gamble in a casino. Users could be fined up to $500 if they are caught in a gambling-restricted area when they are too young.|
OTHER 15: USA Legal Gambling Age by State
In the USA, anyone under 21 is not authorized to play any table game or slot machine in casinos, to loiter in a riverboat’s designated gaming area, or to work as a gaming employee. Non-riverboat gaming devices are also restricted to gamers above 21.
- Mississippi: Only players over 18 are permitted to play charitable bingo. This limits gambling opportunities available to young gamers. Players must be 21 to participate in state-based poker games, casino gambling, and horse racing.
- Missouri: All players must meet the legal casino age requirement, which is 21 in Missouri.
- Montana: Games like craps, roulette, and blackjack are illegal to play. Montana Annotated Code prohibits even actual slot machines. Casinos are limited to video keno, video poker, and video bingo.
- Nebraska: The majority of gambling-related issues are addressed in Nebraska Revised Statutes Sections. In Nebraska there are 18 y/o for horse racing and bingo and 19 for keno and lottery games.
- Nevada: To gamble at a casino or online in Nevada, a user must be 21 years old.
- New Hampshire: New Hampshire Revised Statutes handle gambling-related issues. The casino legal age limit is 18 for lotteries or bingo, and 21 for casino games, horse racing, and poker.
- New Jersey: 21-year-olds can bet in a casino in New Jersey. A minor may visit a casino if they do not gamble or consume alcohol. Online poker is legal in New Jersey but unlawful in most other states.
- For Idaho it is 18 and over. Participants in state or national lotteries, charity bingo, tribal casino games, and bets must be at least 18.
- For New Mexico it is 21. It applies to both tribal as well as racino casinos.
- In New York varies depending on the type of gaming.
- North Carolina: 18-year-olds are permitted to participate in state lottery and low-risk bingo parlors. Residents and tourists over 21 are permitted.
- North Dakota: Players must be 21 to gamble in casinos in Peace Garden State. Users must be 18 to participate in the state lottery or make pari-mutuel bets.
- Ohio: It is 16, 18, or 21 y/o. North Dakota permits adults above 19 to attend casinos, while 13 states allow those over 18 to engage in casino gambling.
- Oklahoma: Casinos that offer alcohol need clients to be at least 21 years old.
- Oregon: It is 18 for DFS competitions, lottery games, and pari-mutuel betting, and 21 for casino games
Casino Age Requirement: Legal Age to Go to Casino
|State||Casino age limit:||Details:|
|Pennsylvania||21||Residents over 21 are permitted at Pennsylvania’s land-based casinos, although 18 y/o can wager on horse races at racinos or online with offshore casinos.|
|Puerto Rico||18||Legal casinos must be kept on the premises of resorts or hotels. To bet in Puerto Rico, users must be at least 18.|
|Rhode Island||18||The minimum limit is 18 for casinos, poker, sports, and horse racing.|
|South Carolina||21||The lowest casino age requirement in South Carolina varies. Residents and tourists at least 18 years old can participate in charitable gambling and raffles. To get on SC’s casino cruises and gamble, consumers must be 21.|
|Tennessee||21||Tennessee allows horse racing betting and administers an official state lottery. NGOs apply to the state for authorization to organize fundraising activities.|
|South Dakota||21||Users must be at least 21 to gamble at Deadwood and tribal casinos and 18 to bet on live horse racing.|
|Texas||21||Players over 18 can participate in lotteries, office pools, social gambling, scratch-offs, charitable games, and pari-mutuel wagering on dog and horse races. Residents and tourists must be 21 to participate in tribal casino gambling.|
|Utah||21||There is no betting on sports or games in Utah. Because of ties to the Mormon church, the games won’t be coming to Utah anytime soon. It is one of five states in the United States that does not have a state lottery.|
|Vermont||18||Daily fantasy sports and lottery participants must be 18 to participate in online gambling.|
|Virgin Islands||18||In 1995, Virgin Islands Gambling made casino gaming legal. US Virgin Islands now have five offline casinos. Four are in Saint Croix, the biggest of the territory’s islands.|
|Virginia||21||The legal number in Nebraska is 19 years old. In Iowa & Louisiana, users must be 21 or 21+ to play lottery games.|
|Washington||18||Not only is underage gambling illegal in Washington, but It can result in severe consequences, including ludomania.|
|West Virginia||21||West Virginia has a minimum casino age requirement is 18 for lotteries, bingo, or racing horses and 21 for sports wagering and casino-style activities.|
|Wisconsin||21||To participate in raffles, bingo, off-track betting, and the state-run lottery, one must be at least 18 years old, while to gamble at a tribal gaming site, at least 21.|
|Wyoming||18||For lottery is 18 y/o. Wyoming’s lottery has grown in popularity among locals in a short time due to the many games available.|
Сasinos That Allow 18 Year Olds to Gamble
Here is a list of casinos in states where legal gambling is 18 years old. Even in these states, there may be restrictions on who can gamble, such as requiring players to be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- WinStar World Casino and Resort is the world’s biggest casino, with 10,000 electronic games, 400,000 sq ft of gaming floor, and 9 spectacular city-themed gaming plazas.
- Choctaw Casino Durant in Oklahoma has 33 tribes that operate 143 Indian casinos & gaming establishments throughout 50 counties. Class III casinos, travel plazas, slot machines, and smoke shops are among 143 gambling establishments.
- Twin River Casino Hotel with over 190,000 square feet of gaming space and over 3,800 slot machines, has an annual revenue of $52.0 million.
- Mystic Lake Casino Hotel: Visitors who want to gamble must be 18 years old. Mystic Lake has 4,000 slot machines and 100 blackjack tables.
- Little Wind Casino has the lowest population densities in the US. Most of these enterprises use video gaming machines in pubs and restaurants. Gambling is not restricted in any way.
- Wind River Hotel & Casino: It is Wyoming’s largest casino facility. Hotels, casinos, and restaurants are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It has 800 Vegas-style slot machines.
- San Manuel Casino in California: It is located 60 minutes from downtown Los Angeles. It is a premium gaming casino with over 6,700 slot machines and hundreds of table games.
- Barona Resort & Casino in California features 2,200 slot machines with bets ranging from a cent to a high limit. Users will discover stepper, keno, video, and poker machines with unique slots and old classic slots.
- Coyote Valley Casino is located in Redwood Valley, California. Coyote Valley Casino has 400 slots, table games, and a poker room.
- Turtle Creek Casino & Hotel in Williamsburg has a legal casino age limit for players of 18+. It has 1200 slot machines, 40 table games, and 6 poker tables. There are 1,200 slot machines with different games, from reels to keno to video poker.
Casino Entry Age: Legal Age to Go to a Casino
The land-based casino entry age limit is 21. To comply with state law, most facilities – 21 y/o. The legal number is 18, and many casinos have extra restrictions prohibiting those under 21 from visiting specific casino sections, like gaming bars and floors. Some offline casinos have strict limits for particular games, such as requiring players to be 21 or older to play specific slot machines or table games.
|Casino Name:||Casino age limit:||Details:|
|Soboba Casino Resort||21||This casino has a minimum age of 21. Poker has a minimum age of 21, and bingo – 21. Most workers at Soboba Casino Resort are between the ages of 20 and 30.|
|Morongo Casino||18||Morongo casino age limit to gamble is over 18 in. Only people who are 21 or older are allowed to drink alcohol.|
|Hollywood Casino||21||One must be 21 or older to enter Hollywood Casino and join their PENN Entertainment Loyalty program.|
|Cherokee Casino||21||No one under 21 is allowed in any part of the casino, including the betting area, bars, and shops. A government-issued photo ID will be needed to claim a big win.|
|Hard Rock||18||Players must be at least 21 to play table games, sports bet, slots, live poker, or to earn wild card rewards.|
|Mohegan Sun||21||To gamble legally in Connecticut, one must be 21 years old, and Mohegan Sun strictly enforces rules against underage gambling.|
|Table Mountain Casino||18||Everyone who comes must be at least 18 years old. Casino games are a way to have fun that millions of adults over 18 enjoy worldwide.|
|Viejas Casino & Resort||21||Entry to Viejas Bingo & Slot is restricted to individuals aged 18 and above. It is exclusively for guests who are 21 years or older, making it a gaming resort tailored to adults.|
|Pala Casino||21||Players must be 21 years old to gamble in Pala Casino; it has 61 table games, 2,250 slot machines, and 12 restaurants and bars.|